It’s been a year to this day since I posted my very first blog post ‘I’m blogging‘ and the page ‘This is me‘. Wheelescapades was born.
I feel it’s a huge achievement for me to have made it a whole year as a blogger. I’m not a quitter, I don’t often let things beat me, but this blogging lark is much harder work than I ever imagined. I’m proud and grateful that it has grown and grown, me picking up writing momentum and hopefully continuing to write interesting tales, the following is gradually growing every week.
Writing about my adventures has also begun to influence my life more than I expected. I take a lot more notes when I am out and about, often actually taking notes (on my phone) to remember details or thoughts that I know I’ll forget later! (I learned this the hard way!) It builds memories for myself as well as telling my tales to others. Blogging pushes me to think about what I’m doing, look at my surroundings, and treasure the funny moments with family and friends. Like a journal in a way where I can look back on the hundreds of ‘on the move’ photos on my phone, re read a post, and although you don’t know all the moments and thoughts and ‘behind the blog’ stuff that happens that day, I remember it. And looking back over Wheelescapades spark those memories.
As is the tradition with my actual birthday I am not just going to celebrate on the one day (my birthday can span from a week to a month!). This blogiversary is going to party on!
To celebrate Wheelescapades surviving it’s first year I am going to do 3 things.
Thing number 1
As my first blog page was titled ‘This is me‘ and didn’t actually say that much I’d like to invite you to ask me some questions or give me some prompts on what I could add about me. I’ll endeavour to answer as many as I can (as long as we keep some boundaries!) in the comments here or on social media.
In a few weeks time (as long as you all help out!) I shall expand and revamp my ‘This is me’ section including some of your best questions! So here’s your chance to ask anything you like!
Thing number 2
Starting tomorrow (because tomorrow is Friday) I am going to start a # on Twitter. I know, what’s come over me, this girl never did tech! #FactFriday and #FactOfTheDay already exist as #’s (although I will link to these too) so I want to create a new # to allow for people to join in and follow.
Drum roooollllll #WheelOfFact sorry I know that’s bad, but I like it, and that’s that. #WheelOfFact will have a theme in that it has to relate to my blogging. So basically a lot of the facts will be tea related! And of course highlight issues of access and disability.
I’ll be providing a fact every Friday for the foreseeable future (let’s just see how this thing rolls, pun intended), and you can interact however you feel the need. Just make sure you #WheelOfTruth so that I and others can see!
If you haven’t yet discovered Wheelescapades on Twitter and want to then click Twitter. You don’t have to, but you should!
Thing number 3
I will leave you with a list of the 12 things I’ve learned in these past 12 months –
- Writing things for the world to read is daunting, exhilarating and hard work.
- I have some of the best friends a person could ask for.
- I rant a lot more than I realised. But that’s fine, they are justified rants. Mostly.
- Although I’ve always had a disability, blogging about it with a view to other people with disabilities reading it has made me think about it more. Not in a negative way. Naidex.
- I need more girls holidays!
- Predictive and corrective typing makes me realise how slack I’ve become at the written word. What did we do when it was just pen, paper and possibly a dictionary?!
- Although it doesn’t seem like accessible toilets are improving, I discovered the Porta-hoist-a-loo.
- Until recently I blogged alone, did my thing, read some other blogs. Then I started interacting with others and discovered how lovely the blogging community is. This has really spurred me on.
- Laughter always will be the best medicine. For me anyway!
- I must take more photos, and write notes while they are fresh in my mind.
- Although access to venues is improving. Tickets purchasing isn’t. Yet. The Elusive Golden Ticket.
- I still and always will love tea.
Here’s to another productive 12 months!